Ah, lists! I love them. I live by them. I practically worship them. They keep me organized, in conjunction with the three calendars I keep, and they are my secret for those who perceive me as organized. Sweet, sweet, lists. I could write an ode to them. Don't even get me started on the endorphins released when I get to check things off a list!
But this is not that kind of list. It's a list of wisdoms sent to me on the occasion of my half-century mark earlier this year. Some of the items listed stand as they are, many of them scream for comments by moi, and I've deleted items that were on the list with which I either disagreed or felt were taking up too much room in this already lengthy post.
As noted, this list is not mine, but I am unsure to whom the credit belongs as my friend forwarded it to me from someone else. All hail whomever wrote this and the credit is yours. The comments are all mine, so is the credit and blame.
50 YEARS OF WISDOM
1. Life isn't fair, but it's still good.
I would also add that life is what you make of it, after you come to terms with the 'not fair' part.
2. When in doubt, just take the next small step.
Something I need to keep in mind, as I tend to take the next big step. Ouch!
3. Life is too short to waste time hating anyone.
4. Don't take yourself so seriously. No one else does.
I like this one a lot. Keep the ol' sense of humor. (and don't you hate it when people spell 'a lot' as "alot'??)
5. Pay off your credit cards every month.
God Bless Cameron for teaching me this one. I think I could retire now on the interest I paid prior to 2001!
6. You don't have to win every argument. Agree to disagree.
Okay, so I'm still struggling with this one. I think other people should pay attention to this one, though, especially when arguing with me.
7. Cry with someone. It's more healing than crying alone. 'nough said.
8. Always have a plan B. And C and D and E and...
9. Save for retirement starting with your first paycheck. Too late, but great advice! As for those of us who didn't, see #8 above.
10. Make peace with your past so it won't screw up the present. Nothing to add - it's perfectly stated.
11. Don't compare your life to others'. You have no idea what their journey is all about. YES! See posts below....
12. Everything can change in the blink of an eye. So tell your friends and family you love them, make time to see them, make your peace, give it your all.
13. Life is too short for long pity parties. Get busy living, or get busy dying. See many of the entries above!
14. You can get through anything if you stay put in today.
15. When it comes to going after what you love in life, don't take no
for an answer.
16. Burn the candles, use the nice sheets, wear the fancy lingerie.
Don't save it for a special occasion. Today is special. Hygge, baby!
17. Over prepare, then go with the flow.
18. The most important sex organ is the brain. Other parts help.
19. No one is in charge of your happiness except you. God, how I love accountability!
20. Frame every so-called disaster with these words: "In five years,
will this matter?" I can tell you, that waitlist not clearing for my customers won't!
21. Forgive everyone everything. But know when to walk away. Forgiving doesn't mean putting up with everything.
22. What other people think of you is none of your business. It's theirs.
23. However good or bad a situation is, it will change. Is this good or bad?! I think we need #8 for this one!
24. Whatever doesn't kill you really does make you stronger.
25. Growing old beats the alternative -- dying young.
26. Now and then it's good to pause in our pursuit of happiness and just be happy.
27. If we all threw our problems in a pile and saw everyone else's, we'd grab ours back.
28. Envy is a waste of time. You already have all you need. Except enough placemats and candles.
29. Take a deep breath. It calms the mind. Just breathe.
30. If you don't ask, you don't get. AMEN!