Saturday, July 25, 2009

-14.8

Whilst looking for a blog topic, one of my friends suggested I blog about my weight loss journey. (I just wanted to use the word "whilst" there.) She adroitly guessed that perhaps I wasn't ready to share that journey and she was correct. So why am I mentioning it? Perhaps a little extra pressure will keep me on track.

I've been down this road a few times before and successfully arrived at my destination. I've also gotten lost several times and discovered some great places to eat. And opened an Avenue credit card. And shopped those Lane Bryant specials. And discovered which stores carry the larger sizes (Macy's and JCPenney). And did my best to stand in the back of group photos.

But my good sense of direction has also helped. My first successful trip was in 1996 when I lost 61 pounds on a liquid, doctor supervised program. It was a lot easier than I thought it would be, but not very practical for living. The liquid was either a shake or a soup. It scared the beejeezus out of me to even think about eating solid food for awhile. I kept it off about 2 years. I didn't stay scared long, did I?

In 2001, after September 11, I knew life could be fleeting and I'd best make the most of what I had. Good health was first on the agenda and I threw myself into Weight Watchers after Stephanie told me what a great and workable program it was. She hadn't told me the whole truth. It wasn't just workable, it was fantastic! I could eat, I could live, I could lose weight! I knew it wasn't a diet, but a lifestyle and a choice (and you know, if you've read here, I'm all about choice). I became a poster child for the program, literally: I was in a Weight Watcher magazine article, my doctor used me as an example to other patients, I could recite points for just about any type of food. I lost 61 pounds.

Hmmm... 61 pounds. Again.

This time I kept it off for about 3 years. It doesn't come back quickly, so it's hard to say exactly how long, but I started to move up a clothing size in late 2005. I moved up two more in 2006. I'm sure moving, living out of a suitcase, not having a kitchen for months and some marital stress all added pounds, but I had something to do with choosing what I ate. 56 pounds came back. And there I stayed. I have the photos to prove it. I even have the XXL/1X clothes to prove it! But boy did I eat - and drink - well!

Of course, 'nothing tastes as good as skinny feels' and a bad knee, along with fear of diabetes has forced the issue yet again. My brother Tim has diabetes and it runs on both sides of the family. I'm not big on the prospect of insulin injections and I'm really tired of being stopped by knee pain. Not to mention those photos.

So, here I am on that well worn path again, the wheels fitting right into those ruts. I officially started back at Weight Watchers the end of April, but didn't really start working at it until a month or so later. Now I mean it. And I have my friend Jan to meet me there every week. And I have Cameron to support me. And I love a challenge. And I love winning. And now all of you know.

I'll check in from time to time and let you know how the trip is going. I haven't lost any clothing sizes yet, but things aren't binding any more. It's working. I'll hang in there. As of this morning's weigh in I was down 14.8 pounds.

1 comment:

  1. I'm right there with you. Started the same time as you, just hit 15. Can't wait to hear your progress. And Elizabeth? She's lost two pounds. Started at the same time. If she weren't my daughter, I'd be jumping up and down at my progress over hers. But she is mine, so... However, she only has about 5 more pounds to go. I'm matching your 61. 'Cept I have 62...

    By the way, I love DIY husband, too!

    ReplyDelete